What is the best way to accessorize shelves? You probably have a bookcase or some other type of furniture piece with shelves in your home. Often times these pieces are crammed with all sorts of books lined up one after the other in anything but a creative or attractive fashion. But did you know that you can easily turn these shelves works of art that you would love to look at?
You probably already have what you need to make this happen. First, give your titles a serious look and donate the books you will not read, reference or re-read. Of the titles that remain, get creative with their placement.
Place a grouping of books vertically and add a heavy object (a box, a figurine, a vase) at the end of the grouping. Stack some books horizontally (with the spines showing) on another shelf. You can leave these as is or place another object on top of the stack. Use other objects as “fillers” on the shelves, but remember, in this instance, less can definitely be more.
Here are some objects other than books that make shelves more interesting:
1. Letters – a word, a single letter, or a combo of letterscreating your monogram
2. Vases – a single vase or a unified grouping of varying heights
3. Boxes – these come in all different sizes and serve a dual purpose being both decorative and a place to hide small items
4. Candlesticks and candles – decorative on your shelf and at-the-ready when you need them
5. Photographs in frames
6. Seasonal items (a decorative heart for Valentine’s Day, a pumpkin in the Fall, etc.)
7. Objects from your travels
8. An interesting sculpture
9. A clock
Create interesting vignettes on your shelves and use items that you love or that have special meaning to you so that looking at these shelves makes you happy.
At Danziger Design, we can design built-ins and bookcases for you as well as help you with display of your books and favorite pieces.