The bedroom is often considered the sanctuary of the home. It is a space that should feel comfortable, peaceful, and soothing. Whether you enjoy relaxing after a long workday, sleeping in on a Saturday, or enjoying a space that is quiet, you should feel at peace with your bedroom.
With the right furniture and design elements, creating your perfect master bedroom is possible. Below is a list of some “must haves” for the master bedroom that we at Danziger Design feel should be incorporated in a home.
- A bed – This may seem obvious, as it is a bedroom, however a bed is not just for functional purposes. The bed can serve as a key design/decoration element in the master bedroom. Typically, a bed is the focus of the room, so the style of bed that is chosen alongside the bedding and pillows can change how the room feels.
- Storage – When it comes to feeling comfortable and peaceful, do the words convenience and organization come to mind? Providing storage for linen or other personal items in your bedroom will bring convenience into your life. Items stored in your bedroom can be specific to your bed size, decor, color preferences, and more. A cluttered and messy bedroom is not the ideal environment for relaxation.
- Lighting – An essential element to creating a comfortable bedroom is lighting. Adequate lighting adds warmth and structure to any room. In the bedroom, it is ideal to have three types of lighting: general (overall), task, and ambient. With general lighting, the purpose is to provide lighting for everyday activities such as getting dressed. Task lighting is best near a chair or next to the bed to serve as the perfect amount of light for reading, knitting, or other interests. Ambient lighting is an opportunity to create a mood. With a soft glow from a sconce or small lamp, you can set a tone in the bedroom.
- Window Treatments – Sleeping in on a Saturday morning would be tough if the sunlight shines into your eyes. With window treatments such as blinds and draperies you can complement the decor in your master bedroom while blocking the sunlight.
- Color that fits you – The colors you choose for your bedroom should compliment you and the style you desire for your space. When you walk into your bedroom, you can immediately determine the mood based on the colors that are chosen. Cooler colors that are not bright can evoke a peaceful feeling where as bold or dark colors add intimacy and drama.
When determining which elements to incorporate into your bedroom, consider contacting Danziger Design for a consultation. We are happy to help you find the elements that make your master bedroom perfect! View our portfolio to see some of our design work in master bedrooms around the Maryland, Washington, D.C., and Northern Virginia area. If you are interested in our interior design services, please contact us, today!